Wednesday, May 31, 2006

RIP Sweet Boy

I really don't know how to start this, so I'll just begin. On the 10th of May, I had to make the decision to put my sweet little Zippy cat down. He was a constant in my life for 19 years. That's a long time, I know...but you never really feel like it's enough time. He had been suffering from chronic renal failure for who knows how long, really, and it just seemed to spiral downward in the last few weeks of his life. He grew steadily sicker and weaker. We tempted him with his favorite treats, carried him to the litterbox when he could no longer make it himself, and spent his last days loving him as much as possible. He went peacefully with the help of a wonderful, caring vet staff. I was able to hold him the entire time, so the last thing he felt was being held and petted.

It's odd...grieving for a pet. I feel as if I can't really talk about it too much for fear of being the "crazy cat lady". I keep wanting to just get up and dust myself off, but grief doesn't work like that. It's sticky and messy.

-k

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Aw, Zippy! He was a good cat.

You mourn how you want to. Screw anyone who doesn't understand how much losing a beloved pet means.

Zippy had a good long life full of love and happiness and kibble. We should all be so lucky.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Oh, Musicgeek. I feel for you. I mourn with you. I am so sorry. You obviously love Zippy and made a decision that although hard was best for him and your decision was made with complete love and compassion. The loss of a pet is a huge thing and I am with Jennifer, mourn how you wish and as often as you need.

needlefingers said...

I'm very glad to see you back in the blog world, but so very sorry for the occasion.

We're all souls worthy of being missed and mourned, some just have furrier bodies.

musicgeek said...

Thank you all so much for the kind words.

I'm with you, Needles. I've never been of the opinion that animals don't have souls. If they ain't in Heaven, then it ain't Heaven to me.

Nan said...

Anyone who has ever lost a beloved pet knows how genuinely heartfelt the grief is. For the longest time you look and expect to see them coming around the corner or lying on the rug on the kitchen floor. It's a hard thing to go through.

Girl said...

Oh goodness...It isn't crazy to mourn a pet. They are family members and they love us unconditionally. I am sorry for your loss.